Les Examens de Grande Importance
This lesson explores high-stakes testing throughout the world, focusing on comparing the Baccalauréat exam in France and the SAT in the United States.
First, let's familiarize ourselves with the SAT, the culminating high-stakes test at the end of high school in High School.
First, listen to this French student explain the Bac in a poem.
Now, watch this video about Le Bac. As you watch, answer these questions:
- When do students take the Bac?
- What is the importance of the Bac?
- What are the different Bac exams?
- Within the General Bac, what are the three choices for filières?
- Which filière is considered the best? Which one is considered the worst?
- How old are French students when they choose which Bac to take?
- What are the subjects covered on the Bac?
- What time of year does the Bac take place every year?
- When do students receive their results from the Bac?
- What score is considered passing?
- What can you do if you don't pass your Bac initially?
- Why is it a problem if everybody does well on the Bac?
- What is "un perle du bac?"
Here is an example of L'éprevue orale, the speaking portion of the Bac.
Here is what it looks like once the French students are able to see their Bac results after one month of waiting.
What is the benefit of high-stakes testing?
Now, watch this video and evaluate whether or not high-stakes testing is necessary in today's world. Complete the FRAME below the video to organize your thoughts.